Golden Age Monday - Oklahoma!

Oklahoma happens to be the first musical that I ever had a role in AND it also happens to be one of the most beloved musicals of the Golden Era of Musical Theatre or...ever, depending upon who you talk to.

This classic Rodgers and Hammerstein (R&H) show is kind of the perfect beginning for this blog because have you ever met someone who didn't know at least part of the title song? Of course not. If you had, that person is probably not of this Earth and then you should be asking them like 50 other questions first.
I don't think I would be too far off to suggest that this is probably R&H's most famous musical. It's done all the time and every where! A lot of community theatres and schools do it because it's "wholesome," but the people who think that aren't really paying attention. Uh...the little wonder? Smelling salts?


Natalie's Five Favorites!
  • Favorite Character:  Aunt Eller
  • Favorite Song:  People Will Say We're In Love (It's a pretty great "we're-in-love-but-don't-know-it-yet-until-we-sing-this-song" song.)
  • Favorite Scene:  It's a tie between:  The box social - if it's done right it's funny and incredibly intense. AND The dream ballet. I love how the basic skeleton of this scene is the same because it has to be, but every production of Oklahoma that I've seen does it different and I think that's cool.
  • Favorite Lyric:  I always enjoy the way any Will Parker says "bur-le-que" in Kansas City. Establishes a character in one word - the wonderfully charming, but dull Will Parker.
  • Favorite Cast Recording:  The movie, but the 1979 Broadway cast is pretty great and appropriately peppy.
What are your five favorites from Oklahoma?

Now for some of my favorite songs from Oklahoma:
1. I've always loved "Many a New Day" because it's a perfect example of how musicals will always be more progressive than the times they are written in. This musical was on Broadway in 1943, but the lyrics are essentially "why would I cry over a man? I'm totally awesome and I don't need no man." Also, Shirley Jones played Laurey in the Oklahoma movie musical and I think she's just incredibly charming. (And all of her dresses? SWOON. I need.)
2. Hugh Jackman can sing? Why yes, dear reader. He totes can. I love the way he
3. This is my favorite version of this song because I LOVE a super character-y Ado Annie.
4. I'm of the opinion that if Jud doesn't scare the life out of you every time he comes on stage, you're doing it wrong.
5. I know that I already featured this song, but JOHN RAITT you guys! He will be coming back later in the Golden Age because he's a barrel chested dream boat.
6. I'm not going to split hairs about which Broadway/movie/West End version of this song is the best because there are just too many, but I will say that I got to hear Sutton Foster sing this live and it was the funniest/best thing my ears have had the joy of hearing. This is kind of toned down from when she does it live, but the story goes that one of her first audition songs when she got to New York was Oklahoma. She got a callback, but they told her to pick a different song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future