Golden Age Monday - The Pajama Game

One thing I really love about musicals is the settings they are placed in. The French Revolution? Sure! A convent in Switzerland? Even better! A pajama factory on the verge of a wage strike? Why not.

The Pajama Game first hit Broadway in 1954 and is one of my very favorite of the Golden Age musicals. Like Oklahoma, it's done in a lot of community and schools because it's fun, bright and the music is crazy catchy. I know when my high school did it my Junior year we all had a good chuckle that all they wanted was a seven-and-a-half cent raise and then we couldn't get the song out of our head! It's the quaint, good ol' days type musical that works well for all ages.
It was revived in 2006 and I'm just now learning this and acquainting myself with the soundtrack. Harry Connick Jr. is probably the closest modern day comparison I can think of to John Raitt and Kelly O'Hara is basically in every revival ever so of course it's good, but I have to go on a quick tangent.*
I'm just learning that some songs that were previously left out of the original show were added back in for the 2006 show. I've put 2 of the 3 in the playlist below. They are really beautiful and I hope they are there the next time I get to see this show live.
The movie version is really excellent because everyone except Doris Day is from the original Broadway cast (poor Janis Paige), but Doris is sweet and spunky as always. And lucky for us - John Raitt gets his first and only, (as Wikipedia tells me) leading film role. Didn't I tell you that John Raitt would be back?

Natalie's Five Favorites!
  • Favorite Character:  Babe
  • Favorite Song:  "There Once Was a Man"
  • Favorite Scene:  Steam Heat
  • Favorite Lyric:  "You're shouting." From the girls in "I'm Not at All in Love"
  • Favorite Cast Recording:  Original. I love Doris Day and Kelli O'Hara, but Janis Paige gives Babe such a bite that it really sells the whole character for me.
What are your five faves?

1. If you aren't familiar with Bob Fosse choreography, the number that goes with this song is a perfect example. Check it out here. It took me a while to figure out if I loved or hated this song - I'm firmly in the love camp forever. It's really fun to sing along to.
2. Favorite song. Always has lots of energy and Doris Day is so adorable in this song in the movie.
3. This is one of the songs added back in for the 2006 revival. It's a really great song for Sid in the second act.
4. This is great audition song. It's also one of the best songs in the show.
5. This is a new song combined with the original reprise of Hey There sung by Babe/Sid. Again, really great.
6. If this doesn't get stuck your head then you need to listen again.



*Do people not write musicals for Kelli O Hara's voice anymore or something? She was in the revival of:  The King and ISouth PacificThe Pajama GameCarousel AND Follies. That isn't even mentioning all of the "lightly staged readings" or concert versions of at least 4 other shows. That has to be a record of some kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future