Shampoo At the Ready

A week ago, I was heading home from Hawaii. Which hopefully explains my absence and my jet lag.
Oahu was magical and got me thinking about all things island-y. Which you know can musically only lead to one place...South Pacific.

There's a lot of good nuggets from Rodgers and Hammerstein in this musical, so I'll probably save a whole show synopsis for another post, but I wanted to talk about one particular song. I posted a couple of weeks ago about love songs, but you know what musicals are even better at than love songs? Break up songs.

They range from the weepy to the angry, but "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" falls right into the sweet spot that I've always preferred. Empowerment with a health dose of good riddance.
Now I know that in the end Nellie doesn't actually end up washing her man out of her hair, but she sure has me convinced in this song. I would like to petition that all jr. high school students be required to memorize these lyrics below. I know I could've used some of Nellie's wisdom throughout my dating life.

"If a man don't understand you,
If you fly on separate beams,
Waste no time, make a change,
Ride that man right off your range.
Rub him out of the roll call
And drum him out of your dreams.

Oho! If you laugh at different comics,
If you root for different teams,
Waste no time, weep no more,
Show him what the door is for."

Mary Martin, the original Nellie, washed her hair on stage every night for this role and below is a clip where you can see Kelli O'Hara do the same on David Letterman. So fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future