Golden Age Monday - Song Edition

The Golden Age was my boys' Rodgers and Hammerstein's heyday and I have some of their other shows saved for future posts (you're crazy if you think I'd forget about The Sound of Music), but let's give them a little rest and talk about Lerner and Loewe. Or more specifically one song from one of my favorites.

My Fair Lady has a ton of iconic songs and I was tempted to visit one from Henry Higgins or Mr. Dolittle ("Get Me to the Church on Time" was one of my early musical theatre jams), but I went for one that I think everyone sort of knows, one that has been covered practically a million times and one that could maybe be an ode to stalking? But just for this post we're going to pretend that it's incredibly sweet and maybe not questionable.


"On The Street Where You Live" is a song that I think everyone can relate to the emotions of. Time passing, people staring, personal pride doesn't matter when the one you love is near or even when you're in close proximity to where said loved one might live!


Here is one of my favorite parts of the song:

And oh, the towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear
People stop and stare
They don't bother me
For there's no where else on earth
That I would rather be
Let the time go by
I won't care if I
Can be here on the street where you live
The version of this song from the movie (with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn) is extra adorable, because how can you NOT love this face?
But I found a great bunch of really fun covers below, but I think my favorite is Oscar's. Not only is this old school Sesame Street, but there's a tap dancing worm. A hard combo to beat.



Take a listen to these below, my favorite is Willie's version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future