Let's Have a Good Cry

I really love the idea of musicals being cathartic. I love it so much that it's crossed over into most of my non-musical music choices as well. I got a bad rap in college for only listening to "sad" music, but I stand by my argument that it is some of the best written/composed and often performed music. So of course when I stumbled upon Louis Peitzman's Buzzfeed post here, I knew I had to write about my own list of songs that never fail to make me cry.

These are in no particular order because like a mom I don't have a favorite.

Ten Songs That Never Fail to Make Me Cry
1. "Everything I Know" - In The Heights

This song never really got to me until I saw this show live last summer. Seeing a show live always adds to the chance that I'll cry when I hear it again.

2. "Enough" - In The Heights

This song is interesting because it's one single line that gets me every time. "For months you lied to us, what did we do to make you think we wouldn't do anything and everything for you?"

3. "At Long Last" - Bright Star

I talked about this song in my Bright Star review here, but besides what I say there I'm not able to form a complete sentence about that song. Too busy crying.

4. "I Never Wanted To Love You" - Falsettos

I talk about this show non-stop, but this song is one of my favorites. Every character gets to sing a little part of it and their feelings are equally devastating - I love a good ensemble number.

5. "Some Things Are Meant To Be" - Little Women

I've had two friends play Beth in Little Women. Seeing a good friend die on stage really adds to the sadness of any song - which is perhaps why this song always gets me.

6. "Left Behind" - Spring Awakening

This song comes out lyrically swinging from the very beginning as it's being sung at a young boy's funeral and says the following:  "You fold his hands and smooth his tie/You gently lift his chin/Were you really so blind and unkind to him?"

7. "Sh'ma" - Parade

I don't speak Hebrew but I know enough to know it's a prayer and the way that Brent Carver sings this is super powerful. This story is also just so stinking sad that it was hard to choose just one song.

8. "I'll Be Here" - Ordinary Days

I LOVE story songs like this and I don't want to spoil anything, but this one might get you on your first listen. I know it got me and I was at work (awkward).

9. "She Used To Be Mine" - Waitress

This is another song where seeing the show live (which you can read about here) really solidified it's spot on my list. The thing with this song is that the character isn't necessarily sad - she's realizing that she has to make a change in her life because she isn't who she used to be. Also, the sheer power of the belt at the very end is enough to bring a tear to even the iciest heart.

10. "Without You" - Rent
There are a lot of songs that make me cry in Rent, but I saw Leslie Odom Jr. sing this live and it really made the lyrics come alive for me. I used to write it off as kind of cheesy, but the way it so simply explains life without the person you love is genius.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future