'Tis the Season

I officially declare it wedding season since I went to my first of the year on Saturday. Attendance at said shindig got me thinking about some of my favorite wedding (or love) songs from musicals.

What makes a really great love song?

Based on my list below - I'd probably say for me, it's imagery and metaphor, but some you just can't help but love!
Maybe it was a little too on the nose to include "June Bride," but considering that it's no longer in the revised version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I would like to speak to the manager about this, please) I thought I'd pay tribute. I spoke about my love for "'Til There Was You" in this post here, but it's worth including again because it is still the perfect love song: Sung by a soprano, talks about bells and birds, and is from a Golden Age musical.

I included "Dyin' Ain't So Bad" on a list about love because it's a really beautiful song and we can all pretend it's about dying of old age with the person you love rather than in a shootout with the police as a 20 year-old. The truth is, some of the best songs in musicals are those right before or right after something really sad. Case in point:  The entire show of Rent, but more importantly "I'll Cover You (Reprise)." Don't you love a good reprise? This one is especially heartbreaking because what was once a duet has become a solo that Collins sings this at Angel's funeral. Jesse L. Martin is the king of sad songs and since I really like film version of Rent (don't @ me) - here's a clip below:

Just cried again. Whatever. Make sure my husband sings this at my funeral, okay?

What are your favorite Broadway love songs?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future