Suddenly Seymour

I attended Little Shop of Horrors at my old high school (Go Warriors!) on Saturday and now I can't get "Suddenly Seymour" out of my head. I hadn't realized before the show on Saturday how great this song is!
The lyrics are so sweet - both characters just want to be loved and treated well which everyone can relate to. "Suddenly Seymour" is a classic example of a character realizing they are in love while they are singing with/to the person of their affection. I love songs like that (see previous posts on that here and here).
But I think my favorite thing about this song is how much Audrey as a character develops within the song itself and the way the music builds to support that development. Audrey starts off very timid and apologetic both in lyrics and vocal strength, but by the end she is UN.A.FRAID. and I LIVE for the belt at the end of this song. (Click on the word "belt" in the previous sentence if you think I'm talking about a fashion accessory.)

I don't think anyone would fight me on it if I said that I think Ellen Greene is the best Audrey, but seeing as I'm just now realizing how great this song is - I might be wrong. Any other Audreys I should be checking out?
Did you know that Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were both considered for the role of Audrey in the movie? I'm very grateful that 1986 was a busy year for both of them because there are few things I love more than when stage people get to crossover into film. Especially when it's for a role that was made for them!

I have to include the below clip because:
1.  Say what you will about Ariana, but I enjoy the pop spin she puts on the end a lot. And she knows her Broadway since that's where she got her start.
2.  I forget that Seth MacFarlane can sing.
3.  I may or may not have also crashed a car while being immersed in a duet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God bless us everyone!

Picking a Song - The Audition Chronicles

Part III - The Future